Thursday, June 5, 2008

Milkweed

Despite Andrea's assumption that I wouldn't like Milkweed, I did like it. I didn't like Maniac Magee which is the only other book I've read by Jerry Spinelli. I thought Maniac Magee was too preachy and rather improbable. Of course, that was my thoughts on the book back when I was in 6th or 7th grade. Anyway, I liked Milkweed for several reasons. I liked how it always stayed true to Misha's perspective. Personally, I wanted to hear more of Uri's story but I liked how you just get the little tidbits that Misha discovers about him. It makes it more real. I thought the writing style was excellent. I really thought the ending was appropriate as well. One of the most interesting aspectives of the book to me was Misha's search for identity and how readily he picked new identities as it suited him. I think it's true that everyone wants their place, their own bit of history to have a sense of self. (Which is probably why so many adoptees care so much to find their birth parents.) I think that's part of the reason we always hear so much church history, to give us in our church our own unique identity and past and cement us together more, which I I'm sure the long Jewish history does for many Jews too.

I did think it rather improbable that Misha could have survived on his own for so long that he didn't even remember his own name without coming into contact with other street urchins before then. I mean yeah, there are accounts of feral children and what not, but living in the city with other kids around him, I don't see how he could have stayed isolated for so long. Anyway, that's my one issue with the story. I do agree that I thought he was stupid at the beginning, but then I wonder where my 8 yr. old's head is most of the time so I think it's pretty true to life. (Sorry, that was mean of me--but honest.)

And just because Leo and I have been talking about it lately--it really has nothing to do with the story per se--but it made me think of the last days and food storage and that sort of thing. Well, to preface a little there is this guy in our ward who's a little carried away with the last days and tent cities and odd stuff like that. Anyway, it was suggested that we get a gun or pepper spray to protect our food storage. I think if it came down to that, I'd hope I'd be Christ-like enough to share it. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that you never know how you'll act in a crisis--especially one that lasts for years without hope for an end, but I'd hope I'd be like a Mr. Milgrom or Janusz Korczak.

Okay, these are all really random thoughts, but it's really, really hot in my apartment and I barely can concentrate. Sorry this is so pathetic of a response.

2 comments:

Juwmama said...

My only comment on this is - Have you seen the movie Hotel Rawanda? Watch that movie and then we will gain perspective on how we might protect our families and our food storage. :-) Just a thought. :-)

Kelly said...

good movie