Saturday, June 14, 2008

Life of Bees - Response to Ans

First of all, thanks for eliminating the idea that we are to use the comments. I've wondered why we were doing that! :-)

As for your argument - - I understand what the book is supposed to portray - - that sense of belonging, children's lives being messed up, etc..etc.. BUT I still can't help but think that there is an underlying anti-men theme in there. And it could just stem from my sensetivity to this topic in general. I don't like the far swung women's libers' points of view. So, I take these types of books in that frame of mind, I think.

Secondly, I very much appreciate your comments on the problem coming from the mothers - - Those women who do just run out on their children, their husbands, and their lives. I think it's not too uncommon of a situation. In your first commentary you mentioned how it was the era in which males were more dominate. I agree, and yet we've just come so far from that mindset that sometimes we women don't want to submit any will to our husbands (causing just as many problems as the issue stated previously). This makes me think. When were women really and truly happy? It seems they weren't happy with what they had in the sixties and now women have many more opportunities but don't seem any happier because it's just not enough! Again, going off on my tangent...sorry!

In short, I completely understand your point, but I still get frustrated with underlying messages of zealous feminists. :-)

2 comments:

The Haws Family said...

Andrea--whats the book, and I'm pretty sure you gave it to me to read, and its about a girl, and her parents die and her sister cares for her, and she writes it from the future, reflecting on the past, and she idolizes her older brother...I'll get back to you when I remember more. I thought about it when you were talking about abnormal childhood upbringings and how they wig the children out.

Andrea said...

You're a strange one, Mrs. Finch--that doesn't sound at all familiar. More details please.