Saturday, June 14, 2008

Ju's response to my response taken out of the comments section

Okay, I see your point about the need for woman to woman relationships. I, for one, have never had trouble realizing that in my life. I've always NEEDED that friendship with other women. So, maybe that's why I didn't see it in the book. And you can't underestimate that quote about the bees only having males when required (sorry, poor paraphrasing). I do agree that the Zack & Lily relationship was quite tender. I got a real sense of their emotions both of love and of fear. Very poignant part of the book.

I guess this book just reminds me of The Ya-Ya Sisterhood movie (book). I guess I've always taken these types of stories to be more about the "no need for a man" philosophy than the actual friendship aspect because it's almost like these ladies become stronger by not having men (usually negative examples of men) in thier lives. It's like they're all seeking refuge from the men in their lives rather than having a healthy friend relationship ALONG with a healthy male relationship (but I guess that wouldn't make a very interesting book, would it?). Now, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - - that is a story about friendship.

No comments: