Friday, January 15, 2010

Must Reads

Well, it depends on what you like.

I'm having a hard time choosing my faves. For instance, I did like "Catching Fire". It was too similar to the first one, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. I'm expecting a lot from the third, and final, book in this series.

Graceling was a different kind of fantasy. My husband and I both really liked it. It does have a scene of premarital sex, but it is tastefully done and not explicit. So I recommend the story, with that caveat.

I thoroughly enjoyed Calpurnia and Petronella. Those are both new this year and they are going to stay on my list of books for my daughters to read.

How Capitalism Saved America is one my my non-fiction faves. The information in it is all available through various other sources, but I like how it's compiled into one, easy-to-read book. If you are remotely interested in American History and/or Economics, this is a must read. I call it the Oprah Antidote. I don't watch Oprah, but I have heard SO much about Denmark ever since her show about other countries. She painted Denmark as this perfect country and managed to leave out a lot of relevant information (which I won't go into). But everyone I've talked to who watched the show thinks we should be more like Denmark (higher taxes, more government care over us).
Yes, I have some firm libertarian views when it comes to economics. My husband is passionate about this stuff, and I find his enthusiasm rubs off on me to some degree.

So those are probably my favorites on my entire list.

No comments: