Monday, March 28, 2011

Well-Trained Mind: History

I'm just curious if any of you have followed a chronological history program. I haven't. I decide what sounds interesting to me and the kids and then put together a little unit on it. I like the idea of chronological though. I think the authors of the Well-Trained Mind make an excellent point that Americans spend most of their time studying American history and it distorts perspective.

I also know that I like to teach what I know, and what I know is American history.

However, sometimes a girl needs to leave her comfort zone. Maybe I can spend the next year familiarizing myself with ancient history and start in fourth grade and do the four year plan.

I like how she did the sciences along with it--but that might be a bit much for me. We'll see. Good things to think about though.

No comments: