Monday, March 28, 2011

History

I've tried following the Story of the World series, but I'm just really bad at following cirriculums in general and got bored with the readings.  I think the best way to do that, if you're going to do it, is to get the books on CD and just plug them in in the car.  I've done that in the past and the kids got more into it.  Just a thought.  The activity books have some value but also some busywork as well.  You'll just need to take a look at it.  Chronologically is good I guess . . . but I don't think it's necessary until the kids get older.  IMO  I do love the idea of having a timeline of history up on our wall and have tried several ways of doing this . . . but I haven't been consistent with it.  The Book of Centuries from the Tanglewood corebook is my favorite idea for kids getting a picture of chronology.  INTEREST is most important at the younger stages.  What do your kids want to learn about?  Start with that.  I will say that my kids' favorites have been Ancient Egytian stuff and the Medevial ages.  Knights and princesses . . . dead guys and mummies . . . can't go wrong there.  :-)  We are different than the "normal American" apparently, because we are just now getting into American history (I've always touched on it, but next year is when we're going into depth with it).  This year has been our favorite history year, too . . . Real Life Princesses!  The girls have loved it.  So, anyway . . . That was a bunch of babbling about nothing and I don't even know if I answered your question.  :-)  JULIA

No comments: