Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Response to Ju

Thanks for the link--I hadn't even heard about it. Then again, I'm not a true-blue TJEder yet.

Sports: For me a must. First, it encourages kids to get moving and use their body. I have zero tolerance for obesity in youth. It is TERRIBLE PARENTING creating an epidemic that will affect our whole society in horrific ways. Sports are a good way to show (without lectures) that exercise is fun. Second, your kids will have opportunities to meet lots of people (and potential spouses) through playing sports. Kids don't have to be fabulous, but they should know the rules and be comfortable enough to join in. I don't want any of my kids sitting on the sidelines of anything because they don't know how. Third, it is family time. We play t-ball together, we play soccer, we play football. All those things get us outside building memories together. Fourth, my daughter is homeschooled and I want her interacting with kids her own age. That's the main reason I put such a high priority on Miriam being in a ballet class this coming year and why I put her in t-ball knowing full well she'll just dance around and have no clue what's going on. It's still good for her.

On the other hand, I know exactly what you're saying about sports taking over your family's life. I think letting them play lots of different things when they're little and the seasons are a few weeks and then having them be more selective when they are older and the seasons are more time-consuming is going to be my approach.

Gospel study time: THAT'S AWESOME!!! We have a devotional that consists of reading the Friend together, talking about a scripture, and singing a song of Emeline's choice--usually popcorn popping. I get up and read my scriptures before they wake up because I want to concentrate--but your idea is better. I'll have to give that one some serious thought . . . thanks!!

Work ethic/money: In the TJED home companion the author talked about classes that cover all the things you need to know to run your home. I fell IN LOVE with that idea and have spent a lot of time thinking about what classes I want my kids to have and when and what their reward will be when they pass things off. Also, I loved the idea the Eyres had about graduating your kids to adult status when they turn 8 and having them be part of the budgeting committee. We're definitely doing that. Also when they turn 8 they no longer get any sort of entertainment during Sacrament meeting and they don't get paid for basic chores anymore--only extra ones above and beyond. I think they'll feel proud--I would have.

Lastly, I've been thinking a lot about what I said about being a lazy potlicker when I was kid (I was) and being glad that Mom made me do things. Mom didn't have to do much "making" with me. I followed her around like a puppy my whole life. I wanted to be just like her. I had all the same opinions and priorities and thought she was the most wonderful person in the world. Maybe there is more to this "inspire" thing than I thought. I'll keep thinking about it and keep you posted on any new inpspirations. :)

No comments: