Sunday, January 11, 2009

Fortune and Fate

I went to the library trying to find Wrapt in Crystal by Sharon Shinn (the main character is named Cowen Drake--sweet), but they didn't have it. They DID have Fortune and Fate, the extra book in the Twelfth House series. It is set in the same place but the main character isn't one of the original six. I loved it. One of my favorite of the Twelfth House books. Good, good, good.

I also read The Invention of Hugo Cabret. You've probaby all heard about it and/or read it as it made quite the splash when it came out. I got it for Timothy for Christmas and we've both read it. It takes less than an hour to read despite looking quite sizeable. It was okay. I though the pictures would add to the story more, but really, they were just illustrations. The plot was pretty simple and at the end I was left without any real desire to recommend it to anyone. I toyed with reading it to Miriam since it does have all the pictures--but I couldn't convince myself that the plot was interesting enough to hold her interest. I do think the 8 year old crowd might really like it as it looks so large, but has so many pictures.

No comments: