Thursday, May 15, 2008

My bookish ideas

Well, I thought about what light books I may want to read, and I am decidedly lacking. I usually just ask Andrea or Kayli for recommendations. Anyway, I agree with what Andrea said about Julie's list--most of those books I've already read. Although the fact that Andrea hasn't read the Whipping Boy should put it on the list. I've never read Onion John either. The House of Seven Gables I read back in sixth grade, but I wouldn't mind reading it again. Around the World in Eighty Days would be okay with me too.

From Andrea's list these looked the most appealing: The Thief Lord (Paperback), by Cornelia Funke, Anahita's Woven Riddle by Meghan Nuttall Sayres and The Sherwood Ring - Elizabeth Marie Pope

And Carry On, Mr. Bowditch" by Jean Lee Latham was actually on my list of books to read, so I'm all for that.

Other than that, I don't have much to add. Well, I would like to add Man's Search for Meaning by Victor E. Frankl and I think for an economics book I agree with Andrea that I think Understanding the Process of Economic Change (Princeton Economic History of the Western World)by Douglass C. North would be a good overview, plus the other one I was leaning towards wad 900+ pages and this is only 200 and something. :) However, I would still like to add Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond to our list too. That's not really an economics one anyway. See, I'm not very good at picking light reading. That's probably why I'll never get through my list of books to read.

2 comments:

Juwmama said...

I loved Man's Search for Meaning. Will read again!
Julia

The Haws Family said...

Pretty sure you've read the Whipping Boy Andrea. Oh never mind, just kidding. Maybe it was Kayli I stole that book from.I thought it was you.