Monday, June 11, 2012

Hola

So I would like to read our book this month, however the libraries here in Houston are LAME!!!!  Seriously, our whole library is about the size as the children's section in Provo.  Granted the Provo library is nice, but it's worse than our one in IL and the one we had in hick-town Farmington NM.  I went with a list of 14 books to get, and came out with 0.  Literally, they didn't have any of them.  Sigh.  I did request it, so hopefully it comes by the end of the month.

In other news, I think it's really hard to decide what is appropriate or not, in context of the Sharon Shinn book and younger readers.  I read Dune and Ender's Game in 6th grade, and I definitely think I was too young for those then.  I also remember looking up in the dictionary what a eunuch was in 6th grade, cause I read it in a Louis L'Amour.  I don't know, in some ways it's helpful to learn some things in that sort of a way, especially if in the story it portrays it (like incest) as something terrible.  I read the Safe-keeper's Daughter, but I didn't remember that side story at all.  This isn't really helpful, is it?

As far as adult reading goes, I just read an adult fantasy last fall, and I was shocked because a lot of reviews had it as a good read for teenage readers, and it wasn't good for anyone!  Just my opinion.  It dealt with rape, and it dealt with it in such a way that wasn't necessary to the story, useful, appropriate...I don't really know how to explain what I'm trying to say except that I think it was mostly in there for titillation rather than any other purpose.  On the other hand, I wouldn't be against reading a book with a rape in it if it had some learning purpose, and dealt with it in a sensitive, meaningful way, and if it didn't go into too much detail of the actual event.  Those are my random thoughts.  Now off to sew I go!

No comments: