Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Free Range Kids

Best parenting book I've read in ages!! 

Free-Range Kids by Lenore Skenazy (the worst mom in america)

Fabulous book!  The author sent her 9 yo son on the NY subway alone and became infamous all over the news shows.  I don't know that I would do that, necessarily, but I did laugh out loud through most of this book!! 

She basically states that NOW is safer than when we were kids (maybe not the 50's) and debunks the many reasons why we are all such worriers!  She defends more outside playtime, more time at the park without parents and with other kids, and the idea that our kids are capable of doing more than we give  them credit for.  Loved it! 

****

I know this blog is not for parenting books and advice...so let's move on.  I would love to start reading books together as a group again, if anyone else is up for it.  In the meantime, here is a list of my summer reading:

Last of the Mohicans
Things as They Really are - Elder Maxwell
Cry, the Beloved Country (read it in high school & want to read it again)
Poisonwood Bible
The Underground History of American Education
Finish the Rangers Apprentice series (# 9 & 10)
A History of US (US history curriculum to prepare for next year's studies)
Review Excellence in Writing curriculum

With the kids I am reading Gone Away Lake by Elizabeth Enright now.

I may not get it all done, but there's my list if anyone wants to read along.  OR tell me what we all may want to read together.  :-)

BTW-   pix of my baby and a Free Range story are on my blog if you want to see.  :-)

No comments: