Monday, January 16, 2012

Modesty

Kelly, loved the misfit post on modesty. I have said many of the same things--especially about the trend toward stores that claim modesty while selling flagrantly immodest items. Drives me nuts. The only thing I wasn't sure about was the heels. I love my heels. On the other hand, it might be a definition thing. I don't wear stilettos. I also don't wear super high heels. Definitely higher than pumps, however. I also think it is ridiculous when YW wear heels. Looks ridiculous--and definitely draws attention. Whether I would go so far as to say they are dressing immodestly . . . I will think about that more.

The post I would write about modesty would focus a lot less on the actual clothes and more on the attitudes and feelings going into wearing the clothes. Yes, a large part of that is competition. Why do we need to compete? Another large part of that is wanting to feel attractive--especially after reproducing when our bodies aren't quite what they used to be. So maybe some fountain of youth might be going on there. Maybe it is because we don't really have a testimony of motherhood. Maybe it is because we're worried our husbands don't have a testimony of motherhood? Maybe it is just because we're surrounded by billboards advertising liposuction?

Any thoughts?

FYI--I come at this from a position of someone who USED TO BE supremely confident in her looks/abilities/everything and then, somehow, lost a lot of that confidence. Why does that happen? Does it happen to most women? I know the article Julia linked touched on it--but her suggestions were no-brainers; dress nicely, do your hair--stuff our moms all taught us. But if you dress neatly, comb your hair, put on make-up and have a hot, tasty meal on the table when your hubby walks in the door and you STILL feel not-good-enough--what then?

No comments: