Sunday, September 5, 2010

Hi all! I know I am lame. I never post. But I haven't posted on my own personal blog for 5 months now either. Oh well. So, my husband and I just finished reading The Virginian by Owen Wister. This is the third time I've read this book. It is one of my favorites. I am kind of surprised that a guy wrote it. My husband said he wasn't convinced that her dreams were met. I said he's crazy. Socially he gained her family's approval. Intellectually he discussed classics with her and gave her different perspectives simply because he was a guy and had totally different life experiences than her. Emotionally he opened up and shared his feelings-- what woman does love that? The only part I disagreed with was his reasoning for killing Trampas. I would rather he left his pride out of it since I don't think that was a valid excuse. He should have mentioned the fact that Trampas was a murderer and thief and that The Virginian needed to protect himself and his future wife from a possible stab in the back some day. But the speech by the judge was amazing!

No comments: