Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Moms & The Hurried Child

Maybe I need to go back and read it again . . . get a refresher course.  I think what I didn't like most about the book, as Andrea pointed out, was the repetativeness.  But, again as Andrea said (I think), you can't hit some mothers on the head enough before they "get it"!  :-)  Unlike what Kelly was saying, for me I think the joys of motherhood are harder to find as the kids get older.  I really love my little ones!  Love them!  But it's not that I don't love my older kids, it's just that as they get older I start to overthink their education (i.e. what they aren't doing perfectly as well as their buddies) and my parenting weaknesses start to shine through  as I watch their actions.  Thus, I'm stressed worrying about their lack of rather than focussing on the joys of!  This is all while forgetting that they are still children!!!  10 is still young!!  Anyway, these are my not so intelligent musings on the subject (it's late, long day!).

I've had a couple of interesting discussions about hurrying children lately and had a quick question:  What about college courses rather than high school (you know those programs where you can go to a jr. college to get high school and college credits simultaneously)?  Do these then hurry our youth to become adults too early?  Andrea, you and several sibling graduated high school early.  What do you think?  I'm mixed on this one because I think we are adults for the rest of our lives, and yet I want my children to excel higher than what high schools expect currently.  So, what are all of your thoughts on that?

It is interesting, now that I've read the book, to watch what little kids wear and how they act.  I was giggling the other day because many little girls I saw the other day had on what J likes to call "hooker boots" (you know, those knee-high leather boots?).  I'm sorry if you own a pair (I actually do, I just haven't had the guts to wear them yet), it's just J's humor.  Anyway, it's funny to me how kids really do dress like mini-adults.  Another family here was saying how she bought all of her girls little travel-size deodorants so they can pretent to be big.  They wear it every day, even the six year old.  I think things like deodorant, jewelry and make-up are signs of growing up I guess.  These girls all three have their own cell-phones, too. 

Now, pointing the finger at myself, one thing I think we need work on is allowing children to make childlike mistakes.  I think we have placed some high behavioral expectations that sometimes just aren't realistic for young children (i.e. spilling your milk at the table for the hundredth time that week . . . causes a bit of tension in our home!).  Now, we have gotten much more relaxed with things like that through the years, but I think our reactions to childlike behavior can also cause some hurrying to grow up.  What are all your thoughts on that? 

Kelly, I think I must have skimmed or skipped the chapter on testing  . . . I don't remember what it said . . . give me some hints!  :-)
++++++++++++++++++

Okay, I need my bed.  Before I sign off, though I wanted to say I am loving the Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin and would love to add it to the list!!

Secondly, next time I'm about to read the Rats of NIMH will someone please inform me it's about animal testing.  I'm finding it quite disturbing actually. 

Thank you and good night!
Julia

No comments: