Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Young Fu of the Upper Yangtze

I'm completely wimping out on this. But if Andrea can get by on that pathetic post about Fermat, then I don't feel so bad. I did read Young Fu. It was interesting but nothing spectacular I thought. The most interesting part to me was the clash of the old traditions in China with the new influences coming in (ie the priests healing vs. the foreigners healing). Also, seeing the seeds of communism in China start growing even as the National Government was consolidating. All in all, it was an interesting to read about the culture but I wish it had more information and more history of the major events of the time. Granted, this is aimed at a young audience, so really for it's audience, it's quite good. His master, Tang, was my favorite character. His short adages and proverbs were always good. Young Fu seemed too much a golden child to be realistic to me. I think the main thing lacking in this book was a climax though. It didn't really have one at all, hence I was never really drawn into the story very much. Those are my thoughts, sorry it's so short--I'm trying to finish a major sewing project so I don't have time for much else.

No comments: