Sunday, March 23, 2008

Life of Pi (Julia's Tardy Response)

Okay, so this is WAY LATE in the game, but I just finished Life of Pi and NEED to resond.

First of all, I have done no other research/homework on the book other than reading most of what Kami and Andrea wrote as well as reading the book and commenting to myself. :-) So, this may come as a very naive, not nearly as symbolic approach to the novel.

These are
some of MY favorite quotes:

Spoken by a Sufi Muslim: "If you take two steps towards God, God runs to you!"

"Evil in the open is but evil from within that has been let out. The mian battlefield for good is not the open ground of the public arena but the small clearing of each heart."

This one comes from the true nature lover inside of me: "Nature can put on a thrilling show." Can't you just imagine a beautiful lightning storm, the torrents of an angry see, the beauty and solitude of a gorgeous sunrise and the peace of a sinking sun! Oh, watching nature is much more enticing than anything else out there!

"The feeling of busyness was profoundly satisfying; I hadn't thought at all about my plight or myself." - - Isn't this so true! It's like the note from President Hinckley's father to his missionary son, "Forget yourself and go to work." What a more happy people we would be if we all took head to that counsel! Pi continues, "I kept myself busy. That was one key to my survival."

"My greatest wish - other than salvation - was to have a book."

"At moments of wonder, it is easy to avoid small thinking." This is where I thought of Linda Eyre, Andrea. It reminded me of "Teaching Children Joy" and the Joy of Curiosity. Don't you find that life is so much more enjoyable sometimes when looking through the eyes of your children. Christmas is more exciting. The moon is more beautiful. The little ladybugs are actually noticed! It's an amazing thing to "wonder" over something!

The following quote, when looked upon in the light of the gospel, reminded me of the Parable of the Sower.
"Some of us give up on life with only a resigned sigh. (Matt. 13:19) Others fight a little, then lose hope. (Matt. 13:20-22) Still others - and I am one of those - never give up. We fight and fight and fight....We fight to the very end (Matt. 13:23)."

No comments: